TREASURING HAS MOVED!

I've moved Treasuring over to my website, so you can now find it new and improved RIGHT HERE. Please update your readers and subscribe if you haven't already. Thanks!
(You can get email updates from the new site, too, if that suits your fancy!)

Monday, February 22, 2010

anatomy of an illustration


Good morning! Welcome to a brand new week. Do you feel the thrill of possibility this morning?

I was working on this illustration yesterday, and I thought it would be fun to scan it at a couple of stages and show a bit of the process, because I get asked about it often. So the top image is the pencil drawing that I began with in my sketchbook.


Then (above) I outlined that with a black pen and changed/added a few things-- the flag at the top is gone. I decided it was lame. I added the outlined flowers and bumps on the ground. I added the ribbons at the top. I got rid of the eyebrows. Oh, all these changes and additions were done in Photoshop- I should mention that.


And here is the finished piece! It's called "Summer Breeze," and you can see it here on my website as well. All the coloring was done in Photoshop with the paint bucket tool and brushes. The lace on the dress is a Photoshop brush, and the cloud and grass textures are pattern fills that I created and saved within Photoshop.

I hope you like it! It's fun to give a little insight into my work sometimes.

In other news, I finally added a big cartel shop to my website, so you can now purchase prints and things straight from there! Just click the 'shop' link at the top of my website. I'm also going to be adding some original paintings soon, so keep your eye out for that!


19 comments:

Lisa Rydin Erickson said...

LOVE this illustration! It's image is filling me and hoping for spring with you (from Minnesota) I think we have a big longer to see it but was able to roll down the windows on the way home from work one day, ha. Thanks for the tutorial, sooo helpful!

Tonya said...

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing the process, I am always interested in how things are created.

Jan said...

how cool!!!! process shots intrigue me in a big way. thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

this is so neat, Jess. i've always been curious about your process from start to finish. do you only use Photoshop for digitally coloring illustrations (vs. Illustrator)?

jessica swift said...

Glad you all are enjoying it! It's fun (and a bit scary!) to share the process. :) Jennifer: I use both photoshop and illustrator to color illustrations. It depends on what sort-of mood I'm in! I make all my patterns in Illustrator, and for the illustrations it sort-of depends on the finished look I'm going for-- if I want to use more patterns within the piece and have a more hand-drawn feel, I go for Photoshop. I use illustrator if I want it to look a bit smoother. Hope that makes sense!

rachel awes said...

what a beautiful anatomy! love all the shapes and colors and this fabulous figure in the center!! you sure know how to fill our eyes and hearts with delight.

LK said...

really interesting - thanks for showing this. I didn't recognise it as yours until I scrolled down to the finished one. I really like this picture and the first stage especially - maybe you should think about selling your sketches too!

leel said...

thank you for sharing this :) i love to see and read your process. *get over it and learn photoshop* has just moved to the top of my List. Thanks Jess, your designs inspire me every time you press Publish, it seems... I think I might need this in print form one day. I have come back to look at her twice already :)

Ashley Inzer said...

this is awesome! thank you so much for sharing your process. I always love learning the steps behind beautiful creations. I feel like when artists share some of their process they are exposing the myth that there is one right way to create a specific type of art. Everyone has their own unique way of doing what they do and that's what is so inspiring.

linda said...

Lovely work...I love how she's leaning with all that stuff, but the whole piece is balanced...great colors too! Thanks for sharing your process, it's always interesting to see how folks work!

Unknown said...

jessica, i really love this post and this illustration. there's just something amazing about seeing how art grows from an idea to a final piece. love love love.

jessica swift said...

looks like I better do some more posts like this-- you all seem to like it! I love seeing people's processes as well. OK, note taken-- more steps and stages posts to come!

Lauren said...

thank you for sharing your process with us!

Kacy Mehlem said...

Thanks so much for posting your process! I love seeing it! I will show it to my 6 year old who loves "painting" on the computer to give him inspiration. You do such wonderful work. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Kacy Mehlem said...

How does this compare to the process behind your paintings? Do you still sketch those first and then paint them?

Macarena Gómez said...

I like very much this illustration! I like to see the process also. A greeting!

aimee said...

you amaze me more with every post. you are one brilliant chica.

xo

Anonymous said...

酒店兼職 酒店打工 打工兼職 台北酒店 酒店兼差 酒店經紀 禮服酒店 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店PT 酒店應徵 酒店

Teddy Started It said...

Thanks for sharing your process. Love the illustration.