still not perfect today
ok, my dears, i'm continuing the trend that i started yesterday, and i'm just going to get it all out of me this morning so i can get on with my day. sound good? good.
this drawing is UGLY. and i'm not saying that so you all will leave comments telling me i'm crazy and that it's, in fact, lovely, because plain and simple, it's grossly ugly. it means nothing, and i got so fed up with myself last night that i just had to stop. it will probably go in my computer's recycling bin at some point today.
i know i post a lot of things here that i'm happy with, so i wanted to show you something that is just not good, so you remember that we all make crap sometimes. i had a professor once who told me "you have to make the bad art in order to make the good art." that is something i wholly believe. you have to get the crap out of you before the good can come out sometimes. i think it's like that in life, too. wow, making art is like living life life. hm... something to think about.
last night my wedding photographer cancelled because she got an unexpected job in alaska for the summer. i am beyond disappointed. her work is gorgeous and perfect, and i was so thrilled to have her-- but alas, careers call and things happen. so, now i am in need of a new photographer. the powers of twitter and blogland are hard at work for me-- i've put the feelers out! my ex-photographer also recommended someone else, so perhaps that will work out as well. we shall see. but alas, if you know any spectacular (and inexpensive!) photographers in the los angeles area available on august 1st, i would love to know about them.
ok, i am done moaning for the day. the sun is shining, and it is going to be a great day, right? right.
{ps-- i am not going to start being all negative and serious here every day, i swear!}
this drawing is UGLY. and i'm not saying that so you all will leave comments telling me i'm crazy and that it's, in fact, lovely, because plain and simple, it's grossly ugly. it means nothing, and i got so fed up with myself last night that i just had to stop. it will probably go in my computer's recycling bin at some point today.
i know i post a lot of things here that i'm happy with, so i wanted to show you something that is just not good, so you remember that we all make crap sometimes. i had a professor once who told me "you have to make the bad art in order to make the good art." that is something i wholly believe. you have to get the crap out of you before the good can come out sometimes. i think it's like that in life, too. wow, making art is like living life life. hm... something to think about.
last night my wedding photographer cancelled because she got an unexpected job in alaska for the summer. i am beyond disappointed. her work is gorgeous and perfect, and i was so thrilled to have her-- but alas, careers call and things happen. so, now i am in need of a new photographer. the powers of twitter and blogland are hard at work for me-- i've put the feelers out! my ex-photographer also recommended someone else, so perhaps that will work out as well. we shall see. but alas, if you know any spectacular (and inexpensive!) photographers in the los angeles area available on august 1st, i would love to know about them.
ok, i am done moaning for the day. the sun is shining, and it is going to be a great day, right? right.
{ps-- i am not going to start being all negative and serious here every day, i swear!}


9 comments:
first of all, not ugly, and when I was in school, we used to have to make hundreds! hundreds of logos, and maybe one of them would turn into something better, after hundreds more alterations. Such is life, way to go for posting something you don't like!
what's negative?
REAL.
Hey... Congrats on your WEDDING!
Maybe I have bad taste in art, because I like this. It's interesting because it has bright colors, but the flowers are kind of gloomy looking because they're facing down. I like that juztaposition.
Now stop poo-pooing your art. You are making my taste in art look bad, and are giving me a complex :)
Oh that sucks about the photographer. But at lease you're getting married in LA, they have a plethora of photogs out there.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) And having to make art we are not satisfied with (bad?)is a great way to free us up. It seems like this constant lesson w/ creating. It looks like to me like there is a different feeling with this one. I really like it myself :) and I agree I like the juxtaposition. I also agree being real is a completely different thing than being negative, one of the coolest things I think with being human and being a woman is how complex our emotions can be and that's a great thing even when it doesn't seem like it.
Sorry about the wedding glitch, parts of wedding planning can be stressful,( I was a complete mess when planing mine :) ) but these things always have a way of working out.
Go you for putting something out there that you aren't happy with. That is a big step to take. Sometimes though if you put a painting you don't like aside for awhile you start to see parts of it that really work.
Btw yesterdays post so inspiring. I don't know how you do it and have multiple blog posts in a day! I know that feeling of not feeling like you measure up.
//ramble complete
OK - well you may hate it and it's not perfect, but I think it's salvagable.
... Constructive critisism coming your way....
Get rid of the purple and shift the colors around a little bit (still the sort of muted palette but maybe not this exact palette) . The only thing about I don't like is the purple buds.
My acting teacher told me the same thing. It is true. Gotta do bad work to get to the gold.
Sucks about your photographer. Who knows the one who is coming way may bring something altogether delightful for your wedding pictures.
Happy Spring, Jess.
I'm so sorry about your wedding photographer! But I agree with Dionne, LA must be bursting with talented photographers. You'll be fine!
And I hear you about the drawing...every time I make a drawing I hate I start to freak out and think I have used up all my good ideas already. Must remember that not every single one is going to be a winner!
Before I dump a piece of art that I'm not satisfied with, I like to see if there is any part of it I can use. Sometimes I cut it up into pieces and rearrange them, or I use a small mat to see if there's any part that I like, when it is isolated. If nothing else works I might paint over it letting, part of the texture come through.
Good for you, for sharing how creating is a process...there's never any real failures, just pieces that lead you further towards a direction or away towards another direction.
Re: a wedding photographer. You might check out Jo Seese at www.onlocationphotography.net
She's in the Sacramento area, but is great and I think she travels.
Post a Comment